Mrs. Purple

Mrs. Purple

Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Amazing Grace- Johnathan Kozol

Amazing Grace was about...

  • Poverty in the South Bronx
  • Homelessness
  • Racial segregation- Hispanic and black neighborhood
  • HIV/ Aids
  • Murders/Death/Prostitution
  • Hospitals
  • Drugs /Violence
  • Children/ Families- Cliffie, Alice Washington
  • Education-Schools/After school program(St. Ann's Church)
  • Welfare
  • Power

Johnathan Kozol's Argument/ Evidence

Kozol argues that poverty, racial segregation and danger continues to exist in our nation and affect our children. Kozol further more, shows the reader evidence through the lives of children he met in the South Bronx. He gives a thorough explanation of the living conditions of these children and their families. Kozol tells us of the troubles and problems existing within families living in the South Bronx. In 1991, the household income in the South Bronx was 7,600 according to the New York times. There are about 4,000 heroine injectors and several who are infected with HIV. Living conditions according to Johnathan Kozol, was horrible. Houses were freezing in the winter and they were infested with rats and roaches. About 84 young adults no older than 21, were murdered. Johnathan Kozol spends a lot of time with Cliffie and learns how living in these conditions affects him.

I am from the South Bronx myself, and I've known Johnathan Kozol my entire life. In fact my sister Jacklin is in "Ordinary Resurrections" as Pineapple. I was raised attending St. Ann's Church and my passion for working with children began there as a "teen leader." I worked with children there since I was 14 years of age and only stopped because I moved to Rhode Island for college. I've never read any of Johnathan Kozol's books before and everything I've read up to this point has shocked me. The neighborhood I grew up in, was no where near suburban... and no where near perfect. But I felt that he over exaggerated at some points in his writing. I was raised among drug dealers, but never knew anyone who was HIV positive or any one who has died from it. I never knew a crack addict or a prostitute in my neighborhood either. Living conditions.... I lived with heat and never needed a portable heater. Not every home in the South Bronx was roach and rat infested. I don't remember everything that occured in 1991, because at that time I was only 4 years old. But what I do know about the South Bronx, is that it has come along way. I know that I've come a long way and people out there is fighting the system...trying to get out of their lifestyle if they can... EVERYDAY. Now....since I got that off my chest... Where is Johnathan Kozol right? what do I agree with? Since I've lived in the South Bronx... I know that it isn't the safest neighborhood. violence is everywhere. I've experienced shoot outs and seen lots of fights....live right next door to drug dealer(which is how they make their living.) Overall, it isn't a safe neighborhood to raise children and expect them to "make it."Only the STRONG survive and make it...not only because they worked hard...but because they had the help and privilege that others didn't. But I'm not even sure how poverty affects the South Bronx today, but what I do know is that poverty can be found everywhere...including Rhode Island, which I now reside.

Johnathan Kozol, as far as I can remember, carried a pen, writing pad and tape recorder every time he visited the church. He spent a lot of time with my family and children in the neighborhood. Writing his book has been a stepping stone to where I am today and why I am attending Rhode Island College. I've worked hard to get where I am, and maybe harder because I am a minority who lived in a neighborhood who did not have the opportunities and privileges, a predominately white suburban middle class community would have. But there is always a difference between someone who lives the experience and someone who writes about it. The only difference between the South Bronx and other areas is the LACK of opportunities, privilege, education being received and most importantly....not having a way out of that life style. After reading the first chapter in Amazing Grace I am now interested to read more of Johnathan Kozol's works.He is a wonderful man and I will not say that what he's written about my neighborhood is invalid or not true. Every story needs to be effective to its reader. Would it sell if it wasn't? Would you believe me if I said...there's exaggeration?

2 comments:

Dr. Lesley Bogad said...

AManda,

I loved reading this entry!! I would be so interested to talk more with you about this. I think that class next week will be both interesting and challenging for you as our classsmates may have responses that are hard to take. My experience teaching this is that lots of time people respond with "pity" even though Kozol is trying to show how strong your neighborhood is in spite of the way the culture of power abuses people without power. Can't wait to talk more with you!

LB

GEMELA said...

I loved your entry. Actually after reading this article I was hoping to speak with someone who actually comes from there to see if he was exaggerating. He made it seem like all the people in South Bronx have AIDS. However, he made a point that people with power abuse of the poor. I'm looking foward to hearing your stories. :)