Mrs. Purple

Mrs. Purple

Saturday, December 8, 2007

My Final Thoughts

This was truly and amazing class. It has opened my mind to new ideas and the importance of diversity. I am not the same person who entered FNED 346. I have improved as a person and as a future educator. I learned new ideas and spoke about things I thought I would never be comfortable speaking about, considering our circumstances(being in a majority white class room.) This class was important to me because I was able to learn about others and their thoughts on racial and other issues which affect us on a daily basis. As ignorant as it may sound, I needed the reassurance that not every Caucasian was racist, self centered and careless about the existing racism in our society. One thing that will remain with me forever is the film on blue and brown eyes. I honestly think that everyone attending college or who will go into a profession where they will have to work with a diverse group...should do that project. It would give everyone a chance to experience racism in their own way. This year I lived on campus and had 2 racist suite mates who called me a nigger and my roommate spic. When we saw the film on blue and brown eyes... I thought of those two ignorant nurse majors. Who I feel sorry for because they will be responsible for the lives of many people who may not be white. If there was a project like this on campus, it would make a huge difference. I used to think that African Americans needed equality, but now I understand the importance of equity. But the only way we will have equity on this planet, is if reparations are given to the families of those who were slaves. Even though slavery occurred long ago, if slavery did not occur, maybe we would all be seen as equals. And maybe.... just maybe African Americans would not be seen as inferior.

Service Learning

I loved the kids! They were great...and I could not think of just leaving after my 9th visit. So I'll still be going there until Christmas break...or until they kick me out...lol. I just love it there and I refuse to be another face who enters and leaves. The teacher is awesome and Guatemalan...we'll her kids are Guatemalan at least and she's very familiar with my parent's hometown. The kids are very smart and love art. They bought smiles to my face all the time. Next week they're having a party and I have no idea what I'll be buying for them. But I am looking forward to seeing all those wonderful smiles that will definitely brighten up my day : )

I think I'm done running my mouth for that last time : ]
Happy Holidays!

1 comment:

Dr. Lesley Bogad said...

Amanda,

Your blogs here are wonderful! What a great way to use this space to work out your ideas, thoughts, opinions and wonderings (and post a video too!!). I have really enjoyed getting to know you. See you in ALLIED next semester for sure!

LB :)